DANGERS OF LONGTERM USE OF PAINKILLERS
We feel so rescued when taking painkillers in pain, but most of us are unaware of the hidden truths about them. Painkillers feel like magical pills- the most wanted healer in your bedroom or at the workplace, However, on the other side of the picture, painkillers have a criminal aspect too. Yes, they do commit bad things to your body.
The question arises that how can something that apparently soothes your aches and helps you gain liveliness in life after severe pains be bad? Let us investigate the crime they do to our bodies with apparent benediction. Many of the commonly used painkillers and insight into their doings with the body are given below:
OPIOIDS MECHANISM OF ACTION:
These inhibit the delta, kappa or mew receptor of the presynaptic membranes and inhibit the release of neurotransmitter, thereby giving a halt to pain conduction.
- Dangerous Effects Of Opioids:
- Their use results in addiction and upon discontinuation of the drug withdrawal symptoms like sweating and palpitations occur.
- They are as addictive as heroin and leaves the patient to crave for them.
- A recent research has also found a strong association between opioid use and development of major depression.
- Sudden withdrawal of opioid use results in depression of immunity. This predisposes the individual to wreck from some fever and get infected.
MECHANISM OF ACTION OF NSAIDS (NON-STEROIDAL ANTI INFLAMMATORY DRUGS):
Painkillers act on the Cyclooxygenase enzyme, inhibiting its function. This results in suppression of prostaglandin synthesis. Inhibition of Cyclooxygenase pathway also results in increased production of leukotrienes, which are chemotactic mediators of inflammation in the body.
TYPES AND EFFECTS OF NSAIDS:
- The nonselective COX inhibitors result in damage to stomach mucosa that manifests as painful ulcers of the gastrointestinal tract that may bleed as well. They also cause nausea and may result in high bradykinin production that presents as cough and bronchial symptom, such as hypoventilation may occur. Moreover, the patient may also report kidney problems after its use.
- The selective COX inhibitors do help in maintaining stomach health, but they predispose the risk for development of cardiovascular problems. Moreover, stroke and myocardial infarction instances are raised.
- Acetaminophen that comes by the brand name ‘Tylenol’ also has liver attacking traits. As a foe, it destroys its architecture and may result in an iatrogenic hepatitis. This occurs only because of over dosage. Beside this, the patient may also experience loss of appetite, jaundice and icterus. You may also notice reddish discoloration on various body parts and can get rosy rash.
- These include corticosteroids. These can cause you great disfigurement by making you podgy looking and your face all rounded and swollen.
- These are also fracture predisposing owing to their property to cause bone resorption.
- They may also indulge you in gluttony as they increase the appetite.
- Suppression of immunity also occurs, leading to infections.
- Eye cataracts may also cripple life with their prolonged use.